Wednesday 14 October 2015

Beinn Fhada - Tuesday 13th October 2015

Well the good thing about having climbed all of the munros is that I can now been choosy which ones I go back and climb again; and take time to explore without an, self imposed, pressure to push on and maybe 'bag' a second one. But, that having been said, I definitely prepared the travelling than the arriving.....of you know what I mean, just seem to be lacking a bit of motivation and drive......maybe I need to climb them all again, now there's a thought !!

But today it's Beinn Fhada, a stunning and complex mountain, situated above Morvich, so I can walk from the site. The weather is glorious, it was a very cold night and hard frost, but a perfectly blue sky - fabulous. 

The walk takes me up Gleann Choinneachain, it's stunning, as is the wee stalkers path which doubles back right up in to the high corries. It really is a complex mountain, the summit is very flat, almost plateau like whereas it's western fringes are made up of a narrow, serrated and pinnacled ridge....very much a game of two halves.






By standards set so far this week, the walk was a popular one, I see 3 others walkers all day, 3 more than I have seen so far on this trip !! And very limited mobile signal, that's why I always take extra care and go better equipped on Scottish mountains. 

The summit views really were amazing, the Cuillin ridge was crystal clear out to the west, Ben Nevis and a hundred or more summits to the South and way up into Glen Carron and Torridon to the North....wow, wow & more wow. 

Rather than retrace my outward route, I decide to tackle the ridge, it's actually shorter and although this would lead to a very steep and grassy descent to the valley, it looked exciting. And it was, the ridge really was intricate, exposed and a few interesting moves, but great fun. And then the steep descent but only a short wander back along the road to the campsite. A great day exploring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment