Sunday 4 October 2015

A "tranquil" bivvy :-) - Friday / Saturday 2nd & 3rd October 2015

So I am keen to get out wild camping again and Russ, after his trip to the Langdales last week, is keen to climb Jack's Rake again, so we have a plan.

I leave work early, pick Russ up on the way through and head to ODG; it's another glorious day, a real Indian summer. We are soon heading up to Stickle Tarn, it's hot and hard work, but once there we drop packs and scramble (climb !!) to the start of the Rake. 

It's been a few years since I climbed this, but we make quick progress up the dry Rake and are soon scrambling up the steeper slabs to the summit plateau, and then across to the summit of Pavey Ark; the views are fantastic. But the light will soon fade and the air chill, so we head back down to our packs. It's at this point that I discover that my Five Ten approach shoes, which are fantastically sticky on rock, are useless on steep, damp grass !






Russ had suggested camping at the wee tarn, the one I visited last week, :-), but someone has beaten us to it. But there are masses of places to camp, and we find an excellent little bump which provides us with great views down the valley and all of the surrounding fells.  

Well I say bivvy, does a bivvy bag with a hoop really count - I think yes, but, hardcore Russ has a proper bivvy bag. We are soon set up and cooking, and have some beer too. It's a chilly evening, the stars are amazing but we decide on an early night. I am warm and cosy and sleep very well. 







The sun rise is spectacular and after some breakfast we are soon packed and heading back down, Russ is working but, in some ways, all the more fun to pack in a micro- adventure.  

I even manage to head out late afternoon for a short run on the Scar, just 45 minutes but, again, the Achilles is holding up well. 


1 comment:

  1. No half measures then :-) looks like you've 'reconnected' and are enjoying the fells X

    ReplyDelete