Sunday 22 May 2011

Old County Tops - Saturday 21st May 2011

Not a great forecast and as I wake in camper on Elterwater Common...it's raining. However by 7am it has stopped and the cloud base is reasonably high.

Quickly register and then back to camper for coffee and some decision making on what kit to wear and what to carry; should have brought less with me, this would have made it easier. This is a long race, 37 miles and 10,000' of ascent and with the forecast I do not want to be ill-equipped. Some runners have just small bumbags, I have my Raidlight Endurance 12 litre sack and it's close to full; at least I know I can cope with most situations which I might encounter today.

We set off at 8am, a steady start down the track and onto the Langdale road to the sound of a cow bell, I remember this from last time ! Soon offroad and climbing to below Silver Howe and then drop down to Grasmere. A short section on the A591 and then the long climb towards Grisedale Tarn.

The rain is holding off but it is windy, glad of my Montane Featherlite Smock. From the Tarn I decide to head straight up Dollywagon (via the BG descent route), despite many racers taking a lower line. The advantage is that I reach the runnable path sooner and, in the cloud, head towards Helvellyn, the first of the three county tops.

The marshals have a real task ahead of them, they do a fantastic job and allow races like this to happen. A bearing of 205o from the summit works well and I am soon joining the path which leads up from Wythburn Church. A checkpoint at the carpark allows a quick cup of tea and some cake before the trudge up the Wythburn valley and into the Bog !

This goes well, and I'm soon climbing up Greenup Edge. From here a long sloping descent leads down towards the summit of Stake Pass and then round the back of Rossett Crag to the checkpoint at Angle Tarn. It is still windy but, again, the rain is holding off.

From here, climb to Esk Hause and then the main path to Sca Fell Pike (this is easy to follow...how could one go wrong here....Russ ?). It is busy today and the last climb to the summit is hard going as everyone seems to be heading down. I see other racers deciding to drop back to Narrowcove, the safer descent line to Great Moss.

Having recce'd this and having noted bearings, I decide on the direct descent and I seem to be leading the way. It works well, the rocks are slippery and it is steep but once out of the cloud I am pleased to be in the  right place. It is easier going from here and I am soon heading down to Cockley Bridge and another cup of tea, cakes and a banana.

The rain which ha been holding off finally gives in and conditions on the long climb to the Old Man of Coniston turn grim. This is full-on weather, visibility is reduced to very little, the wind is gusting very strong and the rain torrential. I have no choice but to keep my head down and do battle with the elements. I pass Garry and Paul somewhere on Brim Fell, Paul is suffering, Garry is still smiling !

The marshals on the OMC are doing a fine job (all be it from the relative comfort of a tent which is close to be flattened by the wind). Turn back from here and soon catch Garry & Paul, keep working hard and make the right navigation choices just as others start to head the wrong way; they soon see where I am heading and turn to follow me. Again this works well and once out of the cloud the descent line to the 3 Shires Stone at the top of Wrynose Pass is obvious.

From the Stone it is a mile or so down the tarmac (this is hard on the knees) before cutting off towards Blea Tarn. Over the road and the finish is close. This is where recce'ing pays off, a short-cut here safes time and gains places and I am soon at the farm track which leads to the road and the finish.

Over the line in about 9hrs 45mins, it has been a good day and went to plan. The soup goes down well, as does changing into dry clothes back at the camper (with the heater full on) and coffee.

What a race, this was my second time and I'll be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment