Sunday 15 May 2011

Fairfield Horseshoe Fell Race - Saturday 14th May 2011

...rude not to, especially as it's a Club Championship counter !

I'm still wide awake and feeling good but know that my legs will not like the climbs or the fast runnable sections (that just about covers the whole route !). A big field, nearly 300 runners, a FRA Championship counter as well.

Not raced this one before and the route differs from the Rydal Round. The first climb is tough but I manage to keep ahead of Ben and John but know they are not far behind. I take a big tumble somewhere after Heron Pike, Ben is very kind and stops to ask I'm ok....I am but this knocks me. Ben and John push ahead and I know that I won't be able to catch them today, perhaps I could keep them in sight though.

It's cold and windy on the tops, I push on, it's hard going but less tired than I expected. There is just no spring in my step though and I'm glad to make it down to the track. I pick the pace up and manage to overtake someone along here. The finish is at the top of a short climb through the woods, glad to make it across the line.

A big Helm turn-out and I am pleased to be 3rd Helm and 30th overall in a time of 1:36:40.  I listen to advice and sit in the beck for 5 minutes (my equivalent to an ice bath) - this is painful but hopefully I will get the benefit over the next days...I'd better!

So, glad I raced, not my best result but may need this to count as my 8th race in the Club Champs.

No comments:

Post a Comment