Sunday 1 May 2011

Coniston Fell Race - Saturday 30th April 2011

So I decide to race, the day is sunny but still very windy in Kendal.

Arrive in Coniston with plenty of time to spare, don't like to be in a rush before a race. Less windy here, conditions look good but struggling to decide what to wear. In terms of footwear, there is no choice - I have only brought my Inov-8 X-Talon 212's - these are perfect for this type of fast race.

Russ has already built the pressure, he expects me to finish in under 1hr 30 mins, I can't see that this is possible. Another big Helm turn-out....Steve B, Russ, Dave Appleyard, Garry, Ben, Kath, Caroline, Lindsay, Jayne, Ali, Paul & Chris Tuson, Tom...sorry if I have forgotten you.

Having recce'd the route on Thursday I was confident of the route choice and hoped for a good race. The start is fast and steep, no Adder today, too many heavy footsteps from the 200+ runners. Good to see Gary at the top of the Bank shouting encouragement. The race starts well, I am moving fast, perhaps too fast !

Make good progress to Wetherlam, but it is hard, I stay lower than the route I took on Thursday, began to wish I stayed higher. Soon at CP 1 on Wetherlam and take different lines to the Hawse, much better, avoiding the rough path. Yvonne & Bethan are there to give encouragement, this is much appreciated.

Now the second and last main climb, Prison Band to Swirl How. I like this climb, I dig deep and make good prgoress. Billy is at the top, again gives plenty of support and a helping shove up the backside - thanks Billy. Head to Brim Fell now, just about runnable, stay slightly right of the summit and am soon at the summit of the Old Man. The marshall tells me I am 17th.

I have my descent route fixed in my mind and this goes exactly to plan. Even at the summit I do not think 1hr 30 is achieveable. My route works well, it brings me out level with a group of 5 or 6 runners who were well ahead of me at the summit - this is good.

Hard running on the lower path, passed by one or two faster runners but am still pleased with progress. Across the bridge and onto the track, not far now. I stride out, sharp left into the field and across the line.....14th, 1hr 22 mins - very pleased with this.

Tom had a great race, finsishing 5th. Good to see Helm members finishing, try to give as much encouragement. What a great race and great day. Stay for prize giving, pick-up a voucher and Helm ladies win the team prize, another great achievement for them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment