Sunday 15 May 2011

Kendal 10k - Wednesday 11th May 2011

The first of Kendal AC's evening 10k series was tonight, this one being in Kendal. Have not run a 10k since last summer and have run very little on roads (try to avoid them as far as possible !), so not sure how I will do.

A cool evening but the rain is holding off, ideal conditions. The race starts in Natland Road and follows a relatively flat route through Natland to Sedgwick. From here, a sharp left turn and uphill to Crosscrake before another left and an even steeper uphill, and then a downhill, to get back to the main road. Then, from there, retrace the outward journey.

The race started at 7.30pm and I set-off at the front and run the first few hundred metres as joint leader. Obviously this couldn't and didn't last and several fit, and young, looking runners head past. However, I stick with it and find myself running in about 8th place.

A couple of undulations allow me to move to 7th and then following support from Helm spectator I move to 6th. This is soon lost but I again retake this on the climb from Crosscrake. I manage to hold onto this and steadily gain on the 5th place guy. More support from Helm spectator keeps me going but the race is just not longer enough for me to close the gap.

I finish in 6th place, in a time of 35m25s - I'm happy with this - almost three and half minutes off my previous PB (Langdale Christmas Pudding race in 2007). Helm have a good turn-out, Will Smith finishes in a fantastic 4th place (a talented youth here and one to watch) and our ladies also do brilliant, picking up the team prize. I get 1st M V40 (by default) but am very happy to have another Pete Bland voucher to spend on new kit :-).

The next race in the series is at Levens on 1st June.

No comments:

Post a Comment