Saturday 1 October 2011

Maol Chean-dearg - Monday 26th September 2011

An early start and I drive further North, through Glen Shiel to Glen Carron - this is a stunning part of Scotland - big, stunning munros all around.

My plans are already constantly changing and I finally settle on the munro of Maol Chean-dearg, at 933m and to the north of the Glen Carron road.

I set-off from a parking area at Coulags and head up the glen. For some reason I had hoped to keep dry feet, this soon changed - the ground was very wet and an early crossing of a burn, which I tried to boulder hop, resulted in even wetter feet and a bruised leg !

The path passes a bothy, I don't stop, wanting to take full advantage of the dry and clear weather before it changes. Soon the path turns west, away from the burn and climbs steeply to a bealach to the South East of the summit. From here a well defined path climbs over a minor summit and then more steeply across boulders to the summit.

It stays clear, the views out to Skye, north to Torridon and beyond, south to the Affric and Mullardoch hills are stunning. As much as I could savour this all day I can see rain showers coming from the west, I head down and catch just a brief shower and stunning rainbows on the way. I stop to look at the bothy, it is spacious and immaculate, it would be a good place to stay.

Back at the camper I enjoy coffee and cake and then drive further North to Ullapool for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment