Saturday 1 October 2011

The Fannaichs - Wednesday 28th September 2011

It is a warm, breezy and clear start to the day - the MWIS forecast suggested winds gusting to 90mph, this could be interesting !

My objective for today is the four easterly Fannaich munros. A parking area just a few miles south east of Braemore junction is my starting point. It is a long trudge along the burn before turning west along another burn - the ground is very wet and boggy and the going is hard. However, once I start to climb out of the glen and reach the ridge the going is much better. The views are spectacular, it is windy but not in the region of 90mph, this is good !

Once up high the munros, Beinn Liath Mhor Fanniach (954m), Sgurr Mor (1110m), Meall Gorm (949m) and An Coileachan (923m) make for easy walking. I stop to chat to some other walkers on my last summit, their first and they give me some directions for the best line of descent.

The camper looks a long way away and is - it takes close to 2 hours to descend the peak and, again, have a very wet and boggy trudge out along the glen - as always, food and drink back at the camper are very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment