Saturday 23 April 2011

The Epic Tri - Tuesday 19th April 2011

Anthony Emmet had already told me of his plans to take on a monster challenge...to be more exact an 'epic tri' ! This entailed a Bob Graham Round, cycling tandem from John O'Groats to Land's End and the kayaking tandem the length of the Thames from Devizes to Weestminster Bridge.....a truly epic challenge.

http://www.theepictri.com/

I felt privileged to receive a text from Ant a week or so previously asking if I would like to run a section of the BG with him and fellow challenger, Bruce. I jumped at the change (as you might have guessed) but was concerned that so soon after the Highlander Mountain Marathon I may not be fully up to supporting him. A quick exchange of e-mails and texts and it was clear that he already had his requirement of pacers and had just hoped I could turn-up for additional support; this, therefore, suited us both.

I planned to run in from Honister on leg 4 in reverse and get as far as Kirk Fell and wait for the guys there. It was a hot (perhaps too hot for them) day and wearing shorts, T-shirt and plenty of suncream I climbed Grey Knotts having heard from Russ that they were well ahead of schedule according to their live tracking device. Onto Brandreth, Green Gable, Great Gable and then Kirk Fell, well ahead of my planned schedule.

It was at this point that updated information put them on schedule rather than ahead (this was sensible given that this was only the first stage of their epic tri). Despite the sunshine, a cool breeze and a wait of over an hour meant that my carrying my lightweight Rab down jacket was not wasted. Eventually Ant, Bruce and a large crew of pacers could be seen. I jogged towards them and it was great to catch-up with them.



Ant was suffering a bit, struggling to get food down; this is so vital in taking on these epic challenges. Bruce was going well but suffering on descents as an old injury was niggling him.It was great to be a part of this challenge and the guys made good time to Honister.


A huge crowd of pacers, supporters and road crew were their to greet them and provide for their every need. Many of Ant's work colleagues at North Face were there to run with him on leg 5; I joined him, Bruce and them on the climb to Dale Head and it was here that I wished them good luck and said that I would be in Keswick to see them finish.


The guys finished well, a little inside the 24 hour target. They were whisked off for a massage, food and then an overnight drive to John O'Groats; another two massive challenges still to conquer.

I followed their progress throughout the next few days and was fortunate enough to meet up with them briefly in Shap as they cycled South. The ride took longer than expected but they still completed this in an amazing time and then went on to kayak the Thames. They finished the epic tri late on 24th April and, to date, have gone a long way to hitting their target of raising £25,000 for Cancer Research UK.

Well done guys, this was truly awesome, you deserve to enjoy the glory and now take a well earned rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment