Saturday 2 April 2011

An early run from Staveley - Saturday 2nd April 2011

As I plan for a longer day out tomorrow, I thought an early run from Staveley first thing this morning would be a good idea. Having heard the rain pounding on the skylights through the night it come as no surprise that this was a wet and blustery run (as I write this an hour or so later the sun is breaking through...ha ho, character building stuff !).

Parking in Mill Yard left me ideally placed for coffee and a croissant upon my return, I headed out of the village on the road to just before the level crossing and then followed the river (Dales Way) towards Cowan Head but crossing the bridge to Hagg Farm just before reaching the complex.



The rain was heavy, the river high and the ground muddy but can't let minor things like this stop me from heading out. Up through Hundhowe to Potter Tarn and on up to Gurnal Dubs. The cloud was swirling around at this level and the wind was strong. Following the same route that Russ and I took a week or so earlier I climbed to Potter Fell summit (395m); a small pile of stones marks the top of the seldom visited outlying peak.





Heading North West on a faint trod brought me to the track which leads up from Brunt Knott Farm eventually to Longsleddale, I followed down through the farm to join the road and then steep fields back to the village.

Out for just over an hour, a quick change into dry clothes in the camper and then for coffee and a croissant in  More Bakery - well worth enduring the conditions for these little luxuries.

Hope the weather is better for tomorrow, the high fells are calling !

No comments:

Post a Comment