Sunday 16 June 2013

Cautley Fell Race - Wednesday 12th June 2013

A new race, to replace the cancelled Tebay fell race. And what a race, well done to Howgills Harriers for organising this......but brutal !!

From just over the footbridge at Cautley the route led along the track for, maybe 750m, before turning right and very abruptly uphill. A full on climb leading to Yarlside. A good Helm turnout, a club champ race. 

I climb well but can't stay with Robin or Mel but ahead of GB. From the summit, which is just in the clag,  double back and then bear right to the Hause. I get a good line and pass Mel. For once I seem to have energy, both mentally and physically, this is good. 

Up a wee valley to CP2 at a sheepfold and then another steep flagged climb to Great Dummocks. Again in the mist and the flags from the summit soon run out. I keep right, remembering what people had told me about the WL race. Out of the mist I see runners to my left, they had dropped steeper but not sure had gained much. The descent is brutal, this race all happens in the first and the last mile. 

I continue to run well and reach the finish in just under 1hour. Robin had a great race, as did Helm ladies. The weather really closes in at the finish, a shame but a good excuse to dive for cover in the Cross Keys Inn - hot food, a free beer and prize giving; a good way to round off a great little race. 

Link to results:

And race details: 





No comments:

Post a Comment