Tuesday 26 March 2013

Great Grizedale Trail Race - Sunday 24th March 2013

So with Edale cancelled I needed to come up with a B plan; Russ and Craig were heading to the Howgills, Kath mentions the Great Grizedale Forest Trail Race - this sounds good, 10 miles and the relative shelter of the forest to run in.

So I head over to Grizedale Visitor Centre for a 1pm start; the roads are clear but the snow deep in places, it's also cold and a bitter easterly wind. The race starts a little further up the track than in the past; the track is icy in places. I decide on my Inov-8 Oroc's 290's, this proves to be a great choice; just the right amount of bite.


About 60 runners set off, we are warned of ice and also deep soft snow; fortunately a 4x4 had driven around the course and the tyre tracks made for relatively easy running but drift either side of these and then I found myself floundering ins deep powder snow. The views towards the Coniston fells are fantastic, the running good and weather cold but ideal for running.

I run well and I run hard; at some points in 3rd place and at times 5th or 6th. The course is well marked, bright spray paint shows up very well in pure white snow. I manage to pick up the pace in the last couple of miles and finish 3rd overall and 1st V40.


Kath also runs well and finishes 2nd Lady V40.


A great race and good day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment