Saturday 16 March 2013

Fairfield Horseshoe - Saturday 9th March 2013

Not a great forecast: cold, breezy, snowy, misty, icy....!!!!

So decide to play safe and head round my favourite fell run route, the Fairfield Horseshoe.


The going is tough, lots of ice and a dusting of fresh snow on top. Micro spikes soon on but a lesson learnt, also know when to take them off, they can 'ball-up' in soft snow !



Hail, sleet and snow sting my face and drive into my eyes; the summit if Fairfield is a harsh place today; I take care, it is close to whiteout conditions and no place to be complacent.



I push on, see no one and, eventually, a relief to have the wind behind me and drop out of the cloud. It's good to get back to the car; coffee and cake, plus warm, dry clothes are very welcome.

A satisfying day and I'm kept on my toes.


No comments:

Post a Comment