Tuesday 6 September 2011

Ben Nevis Race - Saturday 3rd September 2011

The day breaks wet, dull and low cloud but the forecast is for an improvement later in the day, the race starts at 1pm !

Russ, Kath and I prepare for the race together....the benefits of a camper are huge....room to stay dry, get changed, sort kit, drink coffee and eat biscuits...lots of biscuits !

The weather is still not great before the start - I warm up around the park with my jacket on, it is a bit wet and a bit windy but is definitely improving. I am apprehensive, I had hoped to beat my time from last year and also to be sub 2hrs -  I consider this impossible given my recent injury and lack of specific training - Russ has more confidence in me !

We are piped  around the park - there is something emotional about bagpipes - a true sense of occasion. We are soon off, I do my usual sprint start and am with the leaders as we do a lap of the park and out onto the road. As always, this does not last and I soon settle into a pace which I don't find easy or comfortable !

After a mile on the  road we hit the path, take a few short cuts and climb hard to the big zig-zag - here we cut-off and head to Red Burn, the half way point. I am finding this hard and have no idea how it compares with last year. Once on the steeper ground, grass, rock, scree, shale and all wet I seem to pick up the pace and climb strong. The visibility is poor and I keep others in sight for safety. There are a lot of walkers, I am not very patient, I should be !

Finally, after seeing the leaders flying back down, I see the summit and hand in my tag. Now comes the hard bit, 4,400' of downhill ! I run well but trip, stumble and swear my way down. I shout encouragement to Russ, Kath, Dave Till and David but really need to concentrate on every foot step.

Eventually to the steep grassy bank, I feared this last year but it was not as bad as expected - this year I was not concerned but should have been - it was horrendous - impossible to keep one's footing - steep, wet and and muddy grass !

Eventually hit the track and try to stride out - soon come very close to a major stumble down the mountain side - not sure how I kept control but glad I did, it would have been a sudden end to my race and, perhaps, to me ! I run well, take the right short cuts but still have no idea how I am doing.

The pub and road soon come into sight and I then realise that I should be in with a good chance of beating 2 hrs; I would usually find the road enjoyable but not today, there is very little left !

I pick up the pace on the lap of the park and finish in 1:57:38 (62nd) - I am very happy with this. I head straight to camper for a dry top and milkshake and then head up the road to watch Russ, Dave and Kath finish - all put in impressive performances: Russ 2:20:59, Dave 2:29:02 and Kath 2:30:05 - a good day for Helm runners.

Off to the river to sooth aching muscles and then back to camper for coffee, more biscuits, dry clothes and some friendly banter. Head into town later for prize-giving and collect certificate, a good end to a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment