Thursday 23 June 2011

Ultra 100 Recce - Monday 20th June 2011

The sun is out early, it is going to be a hot day and I have 35 miles to run.

I start from Buttermere, one of the checkpoints on the race and carefully follow the route book - this leads me out of the village and to Sail Pass before dropping to Braithwaite and the next checkpoint - could have done with this being manned today, already running low on water.

The next few miles are not much fun, along the side of the A66 until picking up the old railway line and then on the familiar BG route towards Skiddaw. Fortunately only as far as the Latrigg carpark today and then bear off towards Skiddaw House. I head up this valley before dropping down to the beck and doubling back to the Blencathra Centre (another checkpoint). Manage to fill up with water here.

I then drop down to the railway again and follow this as far as Newsham. BG route, again, up to the old coachroad and then follow this as far as High Row - I'm, again, running low on water and the streams are too low for refilling.

From High Row (checkpoint), I drop down on the road to Dockray and then skirt above Aira Force and contour Gowbarrow Fell. This is a beautiful section but today I am hot and thirsty and it is hard work. This section is much longer than it looks, I will remember this !

Then a few miles on the road to Dacre and track to Dalmain House, the half-way point and the start of the Ultra 50. Just a few more miles to go today, across fields and along the river to Pooley Bridge and my car.

I am glad I have left a drink here, it is warm but still appreciated. Out for 6hrs 45 mins, 35 miles - I am pleased with this and fell in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment