Thursday 30 June 2011

Lairig Ghru Fell Race - Sunday 26th June 2011

This is the second time I have raced this, Braemar police station to Aviemore police station - 28 miles.

A record entry of 151 racers, previous entries had topped just 82. Russ and I had raced this three years ago so I had a target time of 4hrs 34mins to beat.

A heavy downpour at the start made clothing choice difficult but I decide on windtop rather than waterproof. It always amazes me the contrast in what people wear and carry - I'm sure I wear and carry too much but prefer this to not enough.

The route follows the road for a few miles and then cuts down through Mar Lodge before picking up a track to Derry Lodge (now ruined). Good running and the rain eases, I make good progress but can feel my 20 mile day from yesterday !

The path is obvious but rocky so full-on concentration is required. The route basically goes steadily uphill for 18 miles and then steadily down for the final 10 miles.

Near the top of the pass the route crosses two boulder fields, these are not much fun but at least the rock has dried. I am 28th at the top but am soon passed on the rough decent. Aviemore looks a long way away from here.

However, as soon as I pick up the forest tracks my pace increases massively; I go into over-taking mode and manage to keep this pace on the last few miles along the road. I finish in 3hrs 51mins, a noticeable improvement on my previous time. I am placed 24th.

A good race followed by good post race refreshments and a hot shower. The coach journey back to Braemar ia long but scenic - a great race, thanks to Deeside Runners for excellent organisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment