Friday 17 June 2011

Tebay Fell Race - Wednesday 15th June 2011

A Club championship race and one which I have not run for a few years. It is a long evening race, over 9 miles, very runnable and plenty of climbing. A big Helm turn-out in a field of, say, a hundred or so.

Carl Bell takes the lead and I show Jebby the way....for a minute or two at least.....I enjoy it while I can ! A long run out, for me the hardest part, before a goo climb to Rispa Fell and the first checkpoint. Easier running to checkpoint 2 and then a steep descent before picking up the contour path. I am running well and can see Joss and Seb from the club a little way ahead; Robin and Alastair are much further ahead and only just in sight.

After the long contour I manage to run the short climb to the third checkpoint and then a long, fast descent to the ghyll. I lose a few places here, much pay more attention to Russ's downhill running tips ! However, Blease Fell, the climb that many fear, suits me and I climb well, regaining some of my lost places. Once at the top there is about 2 miles to the finish, only gradually downhill so need to keep working hard.

I overtake Joss and then Seb is in my sights. I am thinking that I might need an extra half mile to catch him but manage to gain and then overtake. He responds and we run hard together for a short while before I manage to pull away from him.

I hold this lead and am pleased to be 3rd Helm across the line, perhaps in the top 20 of the race ? All Helm run well and we then enjoy a pint and a pint at the prize-giving. A good evening out.

No comments:

Post a Comment