Sunday 5 June 2011

Ennerdale Horseshoe - 4th June 2011

One of the Lakeland classics.....23miles and 7000' feet of ascent.

Not sure why but not in the mood for this today - am not worried about it but I'm not focussed....it's going to be a tough day.

The sun is shining and it is hot. The race organisers give a very detailed chat before the start and walk us to the start line. There are 8 Helm runners here today but, generally, a lower turn-out as it clashes with the Duddon which is an English Champs race.

Not raced this before and not had a chance to recce but visibility is perfect so should not cause a problem. The first mile or so is flat, around the end of the water and then a sharp climb to the first checkpoint on Great Borne. This initial climb was hard, the first one always is and the sun was beating down.

However from here high cloud moves in and keeps the temperature a little lower, ideal running conditions. The route is obvious to the second checkpoint on Red Pike and then I manage to pick a good runnable line all the way to High Crag. The descent is rough and I choose to pick-up the trod to the North of Seat.

I am finding it hard, it is just not flowing today. I get a good line around Haystacks and pick up the main path to the next checkpoint at Blackbeck Tarn. The climb towards Brandreth is hard but the going gets a little from here to Green Gable. The marshalls are doing a fantastic job, supplying water at every checkpoint.

Scree run from here and then contour to Beck Head. The climb to Kirk Fell is straight forward and the descent to Blacksail Pass is much easier than I expected. However, killer-Pillar is tough and I am relieved to make it to checkpoint 6 on the summit.

It should get easier from here but I still find it hard. I get the contour around Black Crag and head over Scoat Fell to Haycock. I was hoping for under 5 hours but the finish is still looking a long way off. Easier running to Iron Crag and I start to to think that 5 hours 15 would be a good target.

However, after the descent to the forest I climb the last summit, Crag Fell, really strongly...perhaps 5 hours is realistic again.

The descent from here is flagged, my legs hurt, my feet hurt and my head is still somewhere else. But I keep pushing on and hit the track with 10 minutes to finish in. This only takes a couple of minutes and with Joss Naylor cheering me on I finish in 4 hours 53 mins. 21st overall and 6th MV40.

A really tough day, I sit in the beck for 10 and then grab a hot shower...bliss. Tea, sausage rolls and cakes go down well and I enjoy watching the other Helm runners finish. Ali runs well and collects a prize for 5th lady and, once again, Helm ladies collect the team prize (well done Ali, Jayne & Lindsay).

It's a long day out, thank you to Tim for driving and to Steve for a welcome pint in the Watermill Inn on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment