Wednesday 18 February 2015

Carnethy 5 - Saturday 14th February 2015

It's been a big build up for this race, Helm are set to dominate and aim to bring back the Claymore. This year is the 45th Anniversary of the race and a record 515 runners are competing in this mini classic; just 6 miles and 2,500' but it has it all. 

The majority of travel North in minibuses, KA and I decide on the comfort option and travel in the Quattro ! It's going to be a long day out, away at 8:30 and after a coffee and croissant stop, we are there soon after 11. The masses soon arrive and we take up our usual area in the school hall. 

As always, time passes quickly and we are soon on the bus to the start. Deposits my having said that its always freezing before the start, today it's not but no harm in having plenty of warm clothing. After just a brief warm up we are soon underway. 

Conditions are good, earlier low cloud has lifted and the route is obvious. The first climb is always tough, but I make steady progress and soon running towards Scald Law and then East and West Kip. Descend to the valley at the back and I'm not looking forward to the big climb up the back of Carnethy. Shaun is close behind me so I keep pushing hard, it's not as tough as I expect and I'm soon at the summit. 

I actually like the descent but the last few hundred metres across the field and through the boggy sections is tough. I finish in about 1:07, surprisingly only 1 minute slower than last year. Helm run well, the lads are in with a chance of the Team prize and KA is a credible 3rd in her category. 

Then coach back to the school and dive for the showers and the in to the canteen for school dinner ! This doesn't quite hit the spot, so it's fish and chips in Biggar on the way home. So we do win the Claymore and there is talk of this being shown off in Weatherspoons later, I opt for the early night option !

Results


No comments:

Post a Comment