Friday 31 October 2014

Three Shires Race Route - Saturday 25th October 2014

So Russ and I decide to head over to Little Langdale to run the Three Shires Race route. Had expected better weather but as we park the rain comes down, more horizontal than vertical ! 

But, what I have already forgotten to say is, that Russ very kindly offered bacon rolls before we set off; no hesitation to accept and a very disappointed Craig had to decline the offer as he was XC racing today. 

Back to it, soon after we start we detour to Cathedral Quarry, not been here before - it's amazing and well worth a visit. Then onto climbing Wetherlam, perhaps my least favourite climb in the Lakes. I dig in, the weather turns more grim and it is a big relief when we make the summit; but not conditions to linger so straight on towards Prison Band and Swirls Hows, now that climb is more like it. 

At the summit the wind is even stronger, we head towards the rebuilt memorial at the Halifax Bomber wreckage and then Russ gives me much need navigation tuition....thanks for that Russ ! Down to Three Shire Stone....yes I manage to navigate successfully, and a steady climb to Blisco; the weather improves a bit and on the descent I even decide to take my leggings off. 


The final sting is the climb up Lingmoor, but I feel good and push on. Little Langdale looks far away from here but it's a surprisingly quick descent and we are soon back at the Cali for tea and mince pies...yes, it's that time of year again. Hawkshead Brewery on way home too...beer and tapas, think I return home heavier than I started today !

No comments:

Post a Comment