Wednesday 2 May 2012

Buttermere / Sailbeck Race - Sunday 29th April 2012

Another race that I have not run before; as I often do, I spend the week prior studying the race map. It is a windy day with rain forecast for later. I pick up Russ and Kath and head North to Buttermere.

Having pre-registered I pick up my number and drink coffee whilst deciding what to wear, too much choice. The race starts by the hotel and, for the first 400m, heads steeply up the Newlands Pass road. It then cuts off left, on a trod towards Knott Rigg and the first checkpoint on Ard Crags. I run well but it is hard work running into the northerly wind, some rain as well.

After the first checkpoint the race descends steeply to Sailbeck and the next checkpoint before an abrupt turn and an even more abrupt climb to Causey Pike. Fortunately this is on a good trod and sheltered to some extent. Once at the Hause and on the ridge line the wind picks up, at some points directly behind and at others from the right.

I push on, over Scar Crags, up the zig-zags of Sail and then the short steep climb to Crag Hill. The cloud is still above the summits and I pick a good line and the trod that leads to Whiteless Pike, the last checkpoint. I had recce'd this route with Russ earlier in the year, not sure if I followed the same line, just a case of heading downhill and trying to stay on both feet today.

I run well, finish somewhere in the top 20 and somewhere under 2 hours. Kath also has a good run, recovering from injury and finishes unscathed. Russ went over on his ankle on the descent from Ard Crags and had thought of heading back, he did well to continue in the grim conditions.

A tough day and one that later proved to be a very sad one.

No comments:

Post a Comment