Wednesday 9 May 2012

Great Lakes 3 Day - Saturday 5th, Sunday 6th & Monday 7th May 2012

Great Lakes 3 Day

Having competed in this event 5 times previously I was pleased to hear that it had been resurrected by Shane Ohly following Joe Faulkner deciding that after organising 10 events it was time to move on.

Details of previous events, results and reports can be found on Joe’s website and details of the 2012 on Shane’s:




I had not trained specifically for the event and had kept it at the back of mind for a long time; this having been said, I have been training and running hard recently so felt confident that I could go the distance. However, knowing that Charlie Sproson (the dude behind the ….http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/) had planned the routes, I knew I wasn’t in for an easy 3 days !


The event started in Great Langdale, just along from the ODG; I arrived Friday evening, in the camper, an chilled, chatting with Nic and Charlie and other competitors, also had to go for an obligatory pint of Old Peculiar in the ODG.

The forecast for the first two days was great, cool, clear and possibly light flurries of snow, but to turn wet and windy at some stage on Monday. Having registered and been handed the pre-marked map I could spend time contemplating the route, getting my head round the route and planning my route. The though of visiting Black Combe worried me and I had visions of nightmares as I slept Friday night !

However, I slept well, was up early and breakfasted and packed my kit bag (what luxury, the overnight kit is transported J ). Setting off at 8.30am, I was one of the last to leave and headed straight up the main path to the first checkpoint on Pike O’Blisco, some 40 minutes later. From here, the next control was on Brown Pike, so reverse of the 3 Shires race route to the 3 Shires Stone and then the Duddon race route to Brown Pike and on to control 3 on Caw.

Now the fun really started, the next control was on the summit of Black Combe, that is a long way away (from anywhere !) ! On day 1, this was perhaps the only real opportunity for racers to choose different routes; I opted for a contrarian route, down to Ulpha and then headed high rather than a longer road route which many others chose. I might have been a few minutes quicker but I really don’t think there was much in it.

The summit finally came into sight, a welcome relief and I knew from there that it was about 8 or 9 miles almost due north, via Whitfell, to the overnight camp in Dalegarth. The running was good, Whitfell passed easily and then down to Devoke Water and low level paths to the camp. I finished in 6hrs 40mins, 4th position and 32 miles covered.

The overnight camp was perfect, a flowing beck to soak in, great views and a friendly atmosphere. It was good to watch other racers come in and give support. My camp set-up worked well – warm and cosy and well fed and watered. Good kit doesn’t come cheap but makes life very comfortable. I always sleep well in my tent and that night was no different.


Day 2 dawned well, the weather still settled and my legs still functioning….just as well as today was predicted to be longer than the first ! Bag packed and an 8.15 start, I knew the first leg to Wasdale as this followed the route of the Ultra 100….or at least I should have ! I miss the path off to the right and find myself climbing higher…I soon realise this is wrong and cut-off along a wall to re-join the path…complacency !!!

Thereafter, I make good time to Wasdale and then on to control 2 at Styhead Pass. As I climb the main path the weather starts to turn, in comes the hail, sleet and then snow but hardly any wind and the cloud remains high. Wasdale to Styhead in 40 mins and then to High Raise, via Esk Hause, Angle Tarn and the top of Stake Pass.

From here the next control is on Steel Fell, I take a direct line and this works well. BG trod down to Dunmail and on to the next control on St Sunday Crag – it starts to get hard and I am annoyed at my food choice – I crave for savoury and fruity foods, not more flapjack and cereal bars !

The snow returns on St Sunday but this is no big deal, rapid descent to Patterdale and the last control before the overnight. However, the Troutbeck valley is a long way from Patterdale. I follow the familiar track to Hartsop and then climb the Thresthwaite valley…this goes on forever ! So does the descent the other side to Troutbeck, I am pleased to see the overnight camp.

It is again a glorious location, the sun is shining, I wash in the beck, eat well and drink beer….life is good. 4th again today, 4th overall, out for 7hrs 40mins and, again, 32 miles covered.

There is a big psychological difference in competing in a 3 day event to a 2 day event – the heading fro home, shorter day comes 24 hours later ! The route looks great, back up the valley and then I decide to cut left, up the wall line to join the ridge and head north to Caudale Moor, control 1. The weather is still good, but cloud is building in the distance, it will turn at some point but maybe I will get back before it does.

Control 2 is on Red Screes, obvious route choice down Ravens Edge to Kirsktone and then a steady grind up the path. Then on to Fairfield, again obvious, and contour both Dove Crag and Hart Crag. I am out in front today, having passed racers who set off early, I am running well.

I decide to take a direct line from Fairfield into Tongue Ghyll and down to the main road. Back roads behind Grasmere and then up to Easedale Tarn; I opt for the path towards Blea Crag and then contour on the trod to the last checkpoint close to Stickle Tarn, this works well. It is now just a 20 minute run down to the finish, my legs hurt but the end is in sight.

I am first to finish, out for 4hrs 35mins and, again, 4th, and 4th overall in the event. Just 17 miles today, making 81 in total.

A fantastic event, thanks go to Shane and Charlie, as well as the other racers.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you thought you might have nightmares about Black Combe!!

    You ran well, the first 2 Scottish lads were strong & Pat was a bit of a wild card... legs too long!!

    ReplyDelete