Thursday 7 July 2016

Big day - Wednesday 22nd June 2016

I park the Cali at the Linn of Dee car park and start the long walk in ton the heart of the Cairngorms. Past Derry Lodge (this really does lend itself to renovation and being lived in) and then turn up the spectacular Glen Derry. There's no rush today so I stop for a brew and then start the steady climb to Beinn Bhreac. A few cold showers blow through, hardly summer weather but the tops are clear and could be much worse.





From the first summit the second Munro of the day, Beinn Bhrotain (1157m) doesn't look that far away, but actually it's over 5km and this is through a relatively flat boggy landscape. But it's worth it, the views are stunning, the whole of the Cairngorms in front of me and brings back recent memories of our lads trip last month.





Now the going gets a bit tougher, it's a steep descent to Lairig an Laoigh and then an even steeper and direct path less ascent to the wild summit of Beinn Mheadhoin (1182m). Chilly up here and time is getting on, I crack on and head down to Loch Etchachain and then head down to the Hutchinson Memorial Hut Bothy. It looks full, a Czech family, I stop and cook some bait, well worth carrying the Jetboil and a freeze dried curry :-), fuelled up I start the long (2.5 hour) walk back to the Cali, but stunning. 

I don't wait around when I back, the midges are in attack mode !!

No comments:

Post a Comment