Monday 16 November 2015

Cross Fell - Friday 13th November 2015

So my Pilates weekend has arrived and after breakfast in Artisan and a quick dog walk along the river I'm heading to the North Pennines. The weather is not great, windy and wet....rain low down, then hail, then sleet and finally snow, so I slightly revise down my plan. 

I park up at Garrigil, and immediately regret bringing the X3, getting changed, sorting kit and making tea is so much easier in the Cali :-/. Then I'm off, heading South on the Pennine Way. It's a main track, and the weather worsens as I head higher towards Cross Fell, the highest peak in England outside of the Lakes. 

I make it to Greg's Hut, a Bothy about a mile short of the summit; I had decided on the way up to turn around at this point, but after a brief nose in the hut the weather improves and I push on to the summit. Views are a bit patchy and it's a bit blowy but surprisingly, less so than on the way up.



I'm soon heading back down, after all I have a Pilates class to attend ! Back at the car it's cold and I struggle and I faff getting sorted. It's then over to Nenthead, a bit grim there, and on to Burnhope. It's chilly, 2c, surely that warrants the heated seat being on :-)

Well the Lodge is huge and, guess what, I bump into Nicola....she is surprised. Rebecca, our wonderful host and instructor, makes us all very welcome and we settle into our Pilates retreat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment