Friday 21 August 2015

Mourne Seven 7's - Saturday 15th August 2015

Although tempted not to run, I am left with little choice. it's a bit breezy and chilly in Donnard Park and, last minute, I change into a long sleeve Helly. It's a British FRA Champs race so a big field, and some big names. For me though it's a run not a race, I need to be sensible.

The route is up Glen River to the Ice House and then a direct climb past Black Stairs waterfall to Slieve Donnard, which at 853m is Ireland's highest mountain, and a full 853m climb from the park.

I'm taking it steady and it's so much more enjoyable ! Then a steep descent before a short, steep climb to checkpoint 2 at the monument on Slieve Commedagan. Conditions are ideal and I keep a steady pace. on to Slieve Bearnagh, Slieve Meelmore and Slieve Meelberg before a boggy descent to the dam at Ben Crom Reservoir.

It's a big climb from here and out and back to Slieve Binnian -this is tough. Then to the last checkpoint on Slievelamagan, that's even tougher. The last leg to the finish is the longest, it's a relief to finish and the take is very much empty.

I'm 82nd, in 5hrs 22mins and part of the Helm men's Open Team, we come 2nd....frustrating could I couldn't have given more for the team.

It's a long time waiting for prize giving then back to the cottage to clean up and head out for pizza and then beer, Maude's....visit number 3 !

No comments:

Post a Comment