Tuesday 9 April 2013

Coledale Horseshoe Fell Race - Saturday 6th April 2013

Not run this race before and the route has changed due to the ongoing snow and ice conditions. However, it is a glorious day, blue sky and very sunny.

The race starts at Braithwaite Lodge, a mad dash down the track, through the village and then a short section of steep road. Then a bottleneck, steps up onto the fell and from there a real slog. The path up Grisedale Pike is in three steps and although I climb each one well, I have little in me for the flatter sections between each.

It's a relief to make the summit and a welcome cool breeze as I felt overdressed on the climb. Fast running from here, across a few snow patches and down to Coledale Hause. Marshalls here and then directed down the main path towards the mines. Again good running and then at the path junction turn right, uphill to High Moss.

Then on to the track down Stonycroft, just as I did last weekend - it's no better today ! However, I don't follow this all the way, cut off left on a trod and then a short climb to Barrow. A great descent from here to finish, fast running all the way back to the Lodge.

Again, not my best race but I get round and really enjoy the route. 44th in a time of about 1hr 25mins.

It's great to sit in the sun post-race and enjoy the fantastic tea and cakes.

Photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment