Sunday 23 February 2014

High Cup Nick Fell Race - Saturday 22nd February 2014

A club championship counter and, as organiser, my selection. Have run this once before, in 2010, when it was last in the club champs. Can only remember the main run up to the Nick and back along the top (Pennine Way), the out and the back had been wiped from the memory, must be an age thing.

Once again a good club turnout, maybe the champs will be a bit more competitive this year. A big field too on this blustery but relatively dry day (although there was a hail storm on the way to Dufton). I had talked this race up, as being fantastic scenery so I was pleased that the Nick was not shrouded in mist, I hoped fellow racers looked and the views and agree with me on this. 

There is more road and track at the start than I remember, it's hard going but as soon as we on to the fell it gets worse: mud, mud and more mud. It's hard going, at least for me, and both Sharon and Shaun pass me as if I'm standing still. I dig deep, why does everyone else seem to float over the mud and I sink deep into it ? 

The views are impressive and the final climb to the Nick is more of a scramble. Once up, we get the full blast of the wind which had been behind us on the climb. It's now 4 miles to the finish (5 to the Nick), mostly on the Pennine Way. I gain on Shaun and make sure that I build a reserve of energy before passing him; I want to stay in front this time and not just struggle past. 

I really do give it everything, I never look back but know he is breathing down my neck. The track is rough, the field muddy and the last track slightly uphill. But the end is in sight, I don't ease off and finish just 10 seconds or so ahead. 

Again some impressive Helm results. I enjoy the race, it's hard and I need to find the speed I once had. Photos and results to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment