Monday 17 February 2014

Carnethy 5 - Saturday 15th February 2014

So the fun bus and the Quattro head North, a big day out for Helm runners, with over 20 of us going to the race. It's only short, 6 miles and 2,500' of climbing but has a great following; the race is always over subscribed and only (!) 600 are lucky enough to make the cut; this obviously reduces on the day and, I think, 503 were at the start line.

So after a very wet, sleety and snowy drive North we make it to Penicuik to register and take over a section of the school hall. Plenty of time to eat, get changed and decide on fell shoes......I should have only brought one pair it would be so much easier, but instead I have three pairs: X Talons, Orocs and Baregrips, all Inov-8 of course.  

Given how wet the ground is decide on the Baregrips, a very sensible choice.  The forecast was for the weather to clear in the afternoon and it certainly does, some blue sky, sunshine but still windy and cool. So we catch the bus to the start and setup our base camp, there is no way I'm taking my big jacket off until just before the start. 

A quick warmup, a cup of coffee and  numerous pees and the to the start line. I don't have a race strategy but am keen to feel better than I did this time last year, it went horribly wrong then and has never really recovered. I start steady, the first field is very wet and muddy and then into the climb. It's heathery and snowy but I am going ok and work hard to the first summit, Scald Law. 

Then fast running and very little climb to South Black Hill. Although it's breezy and cool I am too hot with my waterproof on so on the climb to East Kip off it comes. This is a short steep climb and then soon on to West Kip, all is going well, not overly fast but enjoying it and not feeling rubbish. 

The descent from here is treacherous, wet grass, slushy snow and some mud too but the Baregrips, grip. I catch and pass Shaun and then dig in for the fast flat running before the last big climb, Carnethy. This goes ok, the weather is kind and the views to the Firth and Edinburgh are fantastic. From the last summit I descend well, running down the scree and really enjoying this. Even the run across the field at the end goes well. 

So not my quickest time, perhaps even my slowest but I feel good and have enjoyed the race; this must surely be the first step to my racing becoming competitive again. The Club runs well and we are 4th Team.  Back to the school (eventually) and showers followed by school dinner in the canteen, all good fun.

Having been patient on the drive North I decide not to stick with the bus on the way home, we have a good journey....a long day out but good fun. 

Report and results:



No comments:

Post a Comment