Sunday 18 August 2013

Turner Landscape Fell Race - Saturday 10th August 2013

A race that I had hoped to run last year when it was a Club Championship race but due to illness (rare for me) gave it a miss. This year it is a FRA Championship race, prefer to avoid these as too many people but wanting to run this route gets the better of me. 

A few low clouds and a brief shower when I get to Turner Hall Farm but this soon clears and by 12pm, when the race starts, it clears and there is patchy sun.  I start steady and deliberately do not get dragged along with faster runners. The track to Seathwaite Tarn goes on for ever and it is good to get on the trod that leads to Grey Friar. 

I have Brain and Billy on my shoulder but do not get distracted and concentrate on my own race. On to Swirl How and then a good fast line over Brim Fell to the Old Man of Coniston.  I descend poorly but climb well to Dow Crag. Ben passes me and enjoy the rough running to cross the Walna Scar track.  I hang in and run well out to White Pike and, for once, enjoy the grassy descent to the fell gate and tricky flagged descent to the finish.

I'm never going to do well in a FRA Championship race, well not in terms of position, but am pleased with how I run and my time of 1:44:02.

Full results:


Photo:




No comments:

Post a Comment