Thursday 22 August 2013

Shipman Knotts - Tuesday 20th August 2013

So it's Russ Shipman Knotts race tonight, I have offered to help and am appointed as summit marshal, that's fine by me.

We usually flag the route but this year Russ leaves me to just deploy the odd flag or two (I manged three !) in strategic places. The weather is ok, but potentially a little cool and breezy on the summit so I go prepared.

I'm at the summit in good time, it is cool and breezy and I wrap up......primaloft smock, waterproof, hat & gloves and buff !

I soon see the race start in the far distance and a line of runners head out across the lower slopes. It's not that long before Tom appears, good to see a Helm runner in the lead and go on to win.

50 runners in total, so a great turn-out, I note their numbers on the sheet which Russ has provided. Lots of familiar faces and I try to give encourage to all. but as the last few appear and I note them down I make it 52 runners...bizarre, but at least more rather than less so I am confident in being able to head back down.

I run down with Anna, and, somehow, we appear in front of Dave R (!). I stop at the fell gate and then have a steady run down with Ali, letting Dave and Anna battle it out.

A great evening out, well done to Russ in his meticulous organising and to Christine at Maggs Howe for the fantastic tea and cakes. Finish the evening off in the Eagle & Child.



No comments:

Post a Comment