Saturday 12 March 2016

Black Combe Fell Race......flippin disaster - Saturday 12th March 2016

Well it's a misty day and that proves to be issue for me, and many others to varying degrees. I start well, climbing strong and navigate well, all the way to White Combe; then disaster strikes ! 

We, myself and a group of runners, drop from the summit to the dip, but we don't hit the checkpoint. Some of the group then cut left, suspecting that we have dropped too far right; like lemmings we all go left and keep going left. The problem was that the checkpoint was just a little to our right, we we are now running further away from it. Time passes quickly and soon I realise that the way we are all running is not right; I stop, study the map, as I should have done about 20 minutes ago, and realise the mistake. 

I then take a bearing to get me back on the race route, this goes to plan and I hit the path heading to White Combe......again !!All goes well this time, but the damage is done and no chance of making up for this stupid mistake. I hit the checkpoint correctly this time and make good progress to the river crossing and all the way to Black Combe South Summit. 

Go a little too far left on the descent, but what does that matter now, quickly correct this but realise that tackling gorse bushes head on is not a great idea......legs from the knees down now look like dart boards and sting like hell in the shower !

Lessons learnt and hopefully remembered for the next time: run as if I'm on my own...i.e. Don't follow others; use the map and compass in poor vis, ignore what others are doing around me, they might be experienced and even local but no longer counts for much !!!! :-( :-( :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment