Thursday 18 February 2016

Todd Crag Bivvy - Monday 15th February 2016

Now this is fun, a 'micro adventure' that starts after work and finishes before work the next day - how to cram a lot into a day !

The forecast is great, clear sky and chilly, actually forecast to be the coldest night of the year so far; so mind made up and kit packed I head over to Ambleside and park Under Loughrigg. It is chilly, but I try to not wear too many layers as I do not want to built up a big sweat that would soon chill. So thick merino base layer and softshell on top, plus the luxury of power stretch bibs.

I wander up the steep road and pass the old clubhouse onto the fell, it is dark but the moon is bright and the sky so clear, barely need a headtorch. Once through the top fell gate, I bear half left to the summit of Todd Crag, although there is some debate and confusion as to which summit is Todd Crag. But I settle for the first one and find a fantastic level pitch just metres from the summit. The air is so still, the views down the lake and across to Fairfield are immense. 

I have not eaten enough today, too much rushing around in Liverpool earlier in the day and feel light headed, so main priority is to get the Jetboil on for a brew and a choccie biscuit; this works and I can then concentrate on pitching my wee hooped bivvy bag, laying out my Pilates mat (for an extra layer of insulation, not for a session !!), inflating my mattress and lofting my luxury four season down sleeping bag.  Once all of this is complete I can then cook my tea, chili and rice followed by red wine and Greens and Blacks Dark chocolate....luxury. 

Although the views are awesome, sleep takes over and I snooze until about 9:30 when I declare it's time for supper and then bed. It's great lying warm and cosy in my sleeping bag looking up to the stars, this is priceless. 

I don't know anymore until my alarm wakes me at 6am, early but I do have work to get to and that's all part of the fun. Stove on for porridge and coffee whilst I pack away may kit, it certainly was a cold night, heavy frost and slushy water, gas warm as that was in my bag with me. 

I am soon back down at the car, it's -2.5c but not once did I feel cold. Then to More for breakfast, home for a shower and into work well before 9.....what an experience, I will be doing this again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment