Sunday 14 February 2016

Cumbrian Cracker Sportive - Sunday 14th February 2016

This event had been postponed since November due to flooding and this gave me the opportunity to enter; but have barely used my bike in months, so it could be a tough day out. 

It's another cold one, only just above freezing but it's a clear sky and some sun too. It's a 60 mile route, with about 1,300m of ascent / descent, so not the easiest of days ! Especially as soon after the start in Grasmere it climbs Red Bank.....ouch !

I ride with Russ and Matt, and we are soon through Elterwater and heading to Coniston. We follow the east side of the lake and then through Spark Bridge, Bouth, Allinthwaite and into Cartmel for a well earned cup of tea, well 3 actually, plus sarnies and cakes !

It's just over half way but it's certainly not all downhill from here. I pull away from Russ and Matt and the route North eventually takes us to Grisedale. I am feeling strong and climb really well to Moor Top and then a rapid descent to Hawkshead. I'm on a mission and make quick work of the section to Ambleside, Under Loughrigg to Rydal and then the main road back to Grasmere. I finish in a bit under 5 hours, I think, and had a really good day out.....only had cold feet and hands for the first hour or so !

Results to follow.

Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment