Saturday 2 January 2016

Nine Standards Fell Race - Friday 1st January 2016

So I need to get use to writing 2016 on my blog ! Yes, another year ticks past, is that really a reason to celebrate, I think not !

Anyway on with it, maybe a happier year for me ?!

But in the meantime, a fell race to get on with. Nine Standards, half road, half fell, but actually one of my favourite races. And, amazingly, it's a dry day, chilly too :-) It's a midday start, not that I had a late night, in fact a clear head and up for the race.....but first, I need to decide on kit, wind proof gilet is the answer today....Montane of course, can't afford Arc'teryx !!!

I set off feeling strong and climb well. It's chilly and breezy, the ground is relatively frozen, but icy which is less of an issue on the way up, but might be treacherous on the descent. I stay ahead of a few rivals, friendly ones, all the way to the summit but then their descending skills / confidence is greater than mine and I loose a few places. But I keep fighting, and gain some ground, just needed another climb at the end !

Despite my thinking I had a good race, I'm slower than two years ago, despite the better conditions and my remembering the short cuts. 

But still a good day. Helm ladies do well, Catherine, Carrie & Kath winning the team prize :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment