Monday 11 January 2016

"King of the Castle" - Sunday 10th January 2016

A race that's just 2.5k and only 200m of ascent, is that really for me......defo ! It's a long journey for a short race, but the other way of looking at it is a 5k race with the positions decided at the half way point !

Actually it's pretty good really. A good Helm turnout as first of the club champs and a great atmosphere at Borrowdale Youth Hostel. It's a timed uphill only race, starting from a the bar in Borrowdale hostel to the summit of Castle Crag, setting off at 30 second intervals. 

I go near the back, keen to chase rather than be chased. It's about 1.5km along the river, gnarly.....rocky, roots and mud all thrown in, then a km uphill. It's tough, I set off at full whack and hope to keep going like that; but as soon as I hit the climb it hard work. I push hard though, overtake some Helm and dig deep in the last section, steeply up a scree path. 

I feel physically sick at the finish and chest hurts a the day after but was pleased with my result and position. The steady run back down is welcome, as are the copious cups of tea and pieces of cake back at the hostel; hot showers too. 

Well worth the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment