Monday 9 September 2013

Ben Nevis Fell Race - Saturday 7th September 2013

So after a wet night (so the campers tell me !), comes a wet morning; however, it is forecast to clear early afternoon, before turning wet again.....we could be lucky. 



From Glen Nevis campsite it is just a five minute drive to the shinty pitch; parking is very restricted but, arriving early, we secure a prime place. Registration is simple and we head back to the camper with our race numbers, t-shirts and whisky......maybe I should drink this for some 'Dutch courage'. 

I don't have a great feeling about the race, although I think this has been the case for the last 3 years, both my head and body are not in the right place. But Russ puts me straight and makes some sense. 

After a quick change just before the start, tights to shorts, we are piped around the pitch to the starting pen. Then a minute or so before 1pm we are off. My plan is to take it steady, not blow up and not disappoint myself - I have lowered my expectations and accept it will not be a quick time for me this year. 

This is a good plan and I tuck in behind Craig. However, I am overdressed and then spend an age struggling to take off and stow my Helly....it gets tangled in my vest and then I get tangled in my pack ! Not good, but once sorted I get a new lease of life and catch Craig. He too is suffering from wearing a Helly and decides to strip and use me to help him.....I must lose at least 10 minutes assisting him :-). 

Then the real climb begins, I dig in and keep going; a gel kicks in (this is a new approach for me) and  I am almost enjoying the climb, perhaps taking it steadier is the new way forward for me. The conditions are good, the rock has dried quickly, it cools a little and the cloud is high. 

The leader passes so early and then at least five minutes until the chasing pack pass. The top section is just about flat but also the roughest, I do not to enjoy this and am as slow on he way back as I am to the summit. 

But the climb is over and I am heading back down. Strange really, when on the way up I think how good it would be to be descending and then when descending, climbing is appealing ! I'm soon down to the tourist path, straight over and then Red Bank, this really hurts and I should be going quicker than this. 

However, once back on the path I feel strong and continue to run steady, but not fast, all the way to the finish, even the road is not too bad. I finish in just over 2:08, my slowest time yet but I am not too disappointed and feel in good shape.  

Craig finishes a few minutes behind me and the we head to the river so soak tired muscles, this is very sensible. Then back to camper and we get to see Russ approach the finish, he too looks strong. 

So not a bad day, but perhaps I will come back mentally and physically stronger next year. 

Results:





No comments:

Post a Comment