Monday 19 March 2012

Great Lakes Race Recce - Sunday 18th March 2012

I wake to a stunning day, it is cold and very bright. I have been planning to run this route for a few weeks now and today is the day.

I park at the ODG and run through Stool End Farm (where the race starts) then up the Band. At last I feel good, legs have energy. When the ground flattens out, I head right towards the Climber's Traverse and then cut up a scree shoot, over boulders to the summit plateau.


 
the views are great, the sky is blue and brilliant sunshine; it is cold though, and pools of water have frozen overnight. Next to Esk Pike and Great End, the usual BG route, but from here a straight line to Sca Fell Pike, missing out the intermediate tops. amazing just how few people there are on the fells today, their loss, my gain.


 
Then down to Mickledore and a drop down the scree slops to the path which cuts up to Foxes Tarn. I am making good progress but appreciate the slightly more relaxed pace that fell running has over fell racing. To Sca Fell and then a good, long run to Slight Slide. I hesitate here, have run this route 3 times before, but do not get the best of lines. I eventual correct myself and find the scree run down to Great Moss.

I can't believe how warm it is down here and know that the climb up to the head of Stonesty Ghyll is going to be hard work. However, my legs are still strong and I enjoy this climb. Good running across the flat section and then to Red Tarn. Again I climb well and am soon at the summit of Blisco - just the steep descent to the farm to go.


 
Again I don't get the best of routes and a few times find myself looking down steep little crags. Eventually I pick up the main grass slope, this is steep and testing on the quads, but soon over. A steady run back along the farm track to the ODG and then a chill-out in the sun.

What a great day, what a great route - race day will be harder but will be fun.

About 15 miles in total, 2116m of ascent and out for 5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment