Sunday 16 July 2017

Wasdale Fell Race - Saturday 8th July 2017

Again near perfect running weather. It's going to be a tough day but I'm actually looking forward to this. I set off steady, we contour Illgill Head, which I didn't do in my recce, and then to Whin Rigg; I'm well inside the cutoff, but it will be tight for some. Then we all take a bad line lower in the descent, I didn't do that on my recce. But across the valley is clear; I run, on and off, with my mate Paul, Jacko, Jackson, it's good to catch up with him. 

It's also good to see CS at Greendale, all support is welcome. I climb Seatallan well and follow the obvious trod and line of traffic to the col between Red Pike and Scoat Fell, a much better route. Then on to Pillar and again see CS, this time close to Black Sail Pass. The traverse of Kirk Fell is easier than I recall from my recce but the climb up Gable is brutal. But I get a better descent route, much more runnable and then feel strong on the long drag to Esk Hause, helped by more Helm supporters. 

I run well over to Scafell Pike but struggle on the rocky descent to the col, but then pick it up on the grassy descent to the finish. But what a tough race, 21 miles and just over 9,000' of ascent and, more painfully, descent !

I finish in 5:30, 16 minutes quicker than my previous time in 2008; I'm happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment