Monday 31 July 2017

Ben Rinnes, Duffown Highland Games - Saturday 29th July 2017

My second of the Scottish Long Championship races and  hopefully will be my first completion ! Up and away early and a very enjoyable drive into the heart of whisky country - almost don't make it as distracted by both the Walkers Shortbread factory and numerous single malt distilleries. 

But one in Dufftown, and having spent an age finding the Games field, I register and emerge myself into the spirit of the Games. The race, 22.6km / 1,500m. But secretly I have been working extra hard at circuits in the hope that I could take part and perhaps win the tossing the caber.....but pre-entry only......gutted but given the size of the other tossers (can I say that ?), that may not be a bad thing, think I'll stick to fell running, still get thrashed by my components, but just a little less so.  

The race, well that was tough, think I had underestimated and overlooked it being both a Long race, and a Scottish race, not a good combo.  

But the sun shines as we group at the start line, although within in minutes of starting it's raining. But that's short-lived and the weather remains onside. It's an out and back route, up and over two wee hills and regents for the main course a climb to the summit of Ben Rinnes at 840m. 

That climb is tough but I quite enjoy the climbs on the way back, albeit they seem to have grown within the space of a couple of hours. I was hoping and aiming for sub 3 hours and even at the last summit it's far from clear to me if that's achievable. And the run back from there goes on forever, but I think I do it. Results to follow. 

It the same it time to carry on enjoying the games and the highlight of the bands beating to retreat through the Main Street, love the pipes, so emotive. A top day out, but shame no one to share it with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment