Sunday 23 July 2017

Carrie's BG - Saturday 22nd July 2017

After a 04:30 text update I struggle to sleep and head back up to Honister. After some breakfast I set off to Wasdale at 06:00am. It's clear, dry and calm; it's a very enjoyable walk / steady run into Wasdale; I time my arrival well, it's just as Emma, Carrie's road support, arrives - so I'm soon tucking into my second breakfast, thank you Emma. 

It's been a rough night and no surprise that she's running a bit behind schedule. But with Craig keeping her company in leg 3, I know she's in safe hands (but what's rock climbing on Bowfell all about ?!!). 

But she's in good shape and after a quick change and some food we head off in the heavy rain. Yewbarrow is a tough climb, but she does well and close to schedule on that section. We're then onto Red Pike, the weather starts to improve and the low cloud comes and goes. Then to Steeple, the hard climb to Pillar and the long descent to Black Sail Pass. 

We are running behind and despite making good progress up Red Gully it is an agonising slow plod to the summit of Kirk Fell. Then some steady running before dropping steeply to Beck Head and the brutal climb to Gable; I'm aware the pace is slower than it needs to be, but it's hard to pick it up. 

But once at the top we are joined by some of Carrie's friends, they are full of energy and help her to pick the pace up. Then to Green Gable, Bandreth and Grey Knotts; then down to Honister, the fu ish for me but no excuse for Carrie to stop; she runs straight through, totally focussed. And that's exactly what was needed, she goes on the run leg 5 in 2:38 and completes her Round in 23:38......welcome to the Club. 


No comments:

Post a Comment