Monday 12 June 2017

Howtown Fell Race - Sunday 11th June 2017

Bizarrely I get sunburnt in Langdale Fell Race last year....in mid-October, then today, mid-June, I'm close the freezin my n@&!s off !! It's a windy, at times wet and cool day. Actually reminded me a bit of the first time I ran this race, although was a seriously wet and windy day. 

Anyway enough of my moaning, so my third time I run this race, it really is a cracker; low-key, cheap and fantastic cakes.....happy days. 

It's a tough first climb to Loadpot Hill and apart from the constant pain in my Achilles I feel strong and enjoy the tough conditions. We really are battling into the wind on our way to CP 2 on High Raise, it's good to see the checkpoint back where it should be ! I save the day by locating a certain persons headband and then navigate careful to drop onto the main path just east of The Knott. 

It's then familiar running all the way to Boredale Hause, mainly with the wind behind us. A good time for a gel, then it's the steep climb to Place Fell, CP 3. Then great grassy downhill running to Garth Heads, a bit of road and then the sting, Hallin Fell; but actually that passes easily and just a great downhill to the finish. 

We do ok, it was tough conditions and we finish in good shape. Tea and cake do down a treat, as does the all day breakfast at a cafe in Pooley Bridge. 

Results

Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment