Wednesday 21 June 2017

Cycle touring on Arran - Saturday & Sunday 17th & 18th June 2017

A late decision to get away for the weekend; I head off at 5:30am, a good journey to Ardrossan and I arrive I plenty of time to get my ticket, park camper and load up bike. It's only a short sailing to Brodick and then I'm off.....just me and my bike. 

It's a long drag out of the main town but then soon some downhill to Lamlash. Then the real climb begins, over The Ross Road, reaching a height of about 300m. Some rough tarmac spoils the descent but I'm soon in Sliddery and heading North to Blackwaterfoot. Here I find a great wee Bakehouse, perfect for a late morning coffee and pastry. 

A slight change of plan takes me back over to Brodick, via The String Road, this roughly cuts across the middle of the island.  Back in Brodick I stop for a much needed ice cream and then it's North along the coast road; first to Corrie,then Sannox and over yet another pass, Boguillie, to Lochranza; I came here, a great campsite and nearby hotel for some good food. 

Day 1: 68.1km / 1,107m ascent / average speed 16.4 kph / max speed 68.4 kph.

After a hot and humid night I am up and away early. I head down the west side of the island, first through Pirnhill, then Machrie and again into Blackwaterfoot. I continue on the coast road, it becomes hilly, some short, sharp climbs with a welcome coffee and cake stop at the Velo Cafe in Lagg; here the bulk of the triathlon passes through.

Then again around the coast, to Whiting Bay and an early lunch stop at Lamlash. Then it's just the short up and over to Brodick and the ferry home.

Day 2: 74.1km / 964m ascent / average soled 21 kph / max speed 55.1 kph.

What a great wee adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment