Friday 1 April 2016

El Teide.....well almost ! - Friday 1st April 2016

There is a complete sea of cloud below Vilaflor, but here and higher is glorious blue sky and strong sunshine. I get a taxi to Montana Blanca parking area, the bus is too late in the day, and set off in shorts and t-shirt but well equiped for what might lie ahead. I have a summit pass for between 15:00 & 17:00, a bit bizarre bit they restrict access, but for environmental / erosion issues and for safety. Frustrating though that they can't distinguish between the tourists in shorts and flip flops that come up in the cable car and and those that slog up 1,200m to climb to the summit ! 

It is soon very cold, and I put on long pants, long sleeve thermal, softshell jacket, plus hat and gloves, what's it going to be like higher up ?! But actually once I am out of the wind warmth returns and I shed some clothes. I am soon walking through patches of snow and ice as I wind my way up the track to Montana Blanca. From here, the ground steepens and a great little path weaves it's way higher to the Refugio de Altavista, at 3,260m. I am running ahead of time, so have a good stop here and even treat myself to a hot chocolate. I reckon 1 hour from here to the cable car station and the barrier !




I climb higher, feeling good, and carefully negotiating the snow and ice. I finally get to the barrier and am told, in no uncertain terms, that access to the summit is not possible due to ice ! How flippin frustrating is that, I have slogged my way up through snow and ice for the last 4 hours, am sensibly dressed and equipped but can go no further. They are not even friendly, trying to get rid of me as quickly as possible. I try to ascertain if a different way down is possible, but am told that trail is also closed. Not impressed.....Spanish bureaucracy !!

I have two choices, head back the way I came and then face an 8km road yomp to my hotel or swallow my pride and get the cable care down ! I actually opt for the latter, this might surprise you, and soon get pi&@ed off with tourists (obviously I'm not one !). Can't wait to get out at the bottom and hit the trail for a few km's to my hotel, Hotel Parador. It's at about 2,100m and I've heard that Team Sky block book it for a week each year as a training camp.....I'm expecting it to be good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment