Friday 14 November 2014

Dunnerdale Fell Race - Saturday 8th November 2014

A new race for me, recce'd it last weekend and just over a year ago; I'm confident of the route and despite a horrid forecast, conditions are reasonable. 

The usual big Helm turnout for this race, helped or not-helped as it's the last of the Club Champ races. Parking is not great, perhaps car my have been better than Cali but it proves useful weekend after weekend as a place to change both before and after races and runs, and somewhere to drink coffee and prepare. 

Anyway back to the race, I feel ok and set off strong, ahead of Craig and Garry; the latter draws level on the steep road that leads to the fells, I crank it up a bit more, it's there to crank, and pull away but he gets his revenge later. Craig overtakes once in the fells, he's strong and finishes 3rd V40. 

The climbs go well, the descents less so; it's wet underfoot but not wearing a jacket does not prove to be a mistake. All goes well, but the last descent is gnarly and I tackle this like an old women. GB passes me, out of control, and despite my getting past him on the grassy track he again takes the lead and beats me by 5 seconds. 

But I'm pleased with my performance, things are starting to look up. Some great results by Helm, including Men's and Ladies Team and 1st Lady V50. 

Pies and prize giving are a good way to end the day, plus the pub stop in Broughton on way home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment