Monday 22 September 2014

Sca Fell Pike Fell Race - Saturday 20th September 2014

A club championship race this year and one which I had pre-entered. It's only short but brutal enough; a good Helm turnout and weather ok but the cloud base is down to about 1,500'. 

Lee and Craig are fired up and GB is grinning ear-to-ear as usual, I'm just thinking about surviving ! The start is flat but soon leads into a rising and rough path; disappointing that dome racers feel the need to climb fences rather than use stiles.....are those few seconds really going to make that much difference; if they are, get fitter !

Then off path and the real work starts, climb to the stile and then it's a grind up the ridge of Lingmell. Into the mist and I follow a line of racers, Brian and GB just ahead and I dig in for the climb to England's highest summit. Not actually very sure of the line we take and decide on following the main path on the return. 

Lee passes, in the top 3 and Craig also running well. I overtake Brian just before the summit and then work on descending. After the rocky path, I pick up the trod which leads over to the shoulder of Lingmell and find myself catching Jonny and GB. I overtake but can't keep ahead of Jonny, he gets back in front close to the finish and I have nothing left to close the gap. 

Not a bad race but, as always seems to be the case, could do better. Lee is 4th, Craig 3rd V40 and Brian 1st V60. 

It's good to be in Wasdale, should have planned it better and stayed over in the Cali. 

No comments:

Post a Comment