Sunday 7 September 2014

Ben Nevis Fell Race - Saturday 6th September 2014

So for my 5th consecutive year I am in the race, and what a race. There's nothing else quite like it, yes that are much longer races and yes there are races with much more climbing. But in the UK there just can't be a race that has such a relentless climb followed by a relentless decent - it's a killer of a race. 

The forecast wasn't great but, camped at Glen Nevis campsite, we wake to a dry, still and misty morning, so perhaps again the weather will be better than forecast. I am less nervous than usual and don't have the usual feeling of impending doom - that might sounds a bit melodramatic but it's true, so it's good to be a bit more chilled today. 

A little drizzle and low cloud does not change my mood and by 1pm it is dry and we are piped to the start line.....and over 500 of us are off ! The road passes quickly but, very early on, my left Achilles is giving me grief, not just stiff but painful. Once on the track I work hard but realise it's going to be hard and not quick.  When the track gets steeper, I lean into the climb and this is where it goes further wrong.....using lower back muscles to climb is not a great technique and as soon as I try to straighten I realise why, I am in a lot of discomfort and it's not good. 

But I'm not turning back so just get on with it, the trod around to Red Burn is the worst bit and after that it improves a bit and I just keep climbing until the summit is in sight, a relief but short lived as the hard work now begins. I put the effort in, it goes ok but could be, an once was,so much better. Red Bank is wet and slippery, even for the brand new Inov-8 X-Talon 212's. 

Back on the track I keep working hard and am relieved once I cut the zig-zags and on to the easier terrain. Once on the road I manage to pick up some speed and regain a few places and even  put in a good spring around the shinty pitch at the finish.  So I think I finish in about 2:10, if so just a couple of minutes slower than last year but a long way off my PB. 

Russ has a steady run and isn't disappointed with his result, or at least doesn't let it show like I do. I am frustrated and disappointed with my running and desperately want to I'm improve.  

Home by 10pm, a good trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment