Tuesday 24 January 2012

Crosby Commoner - Saturday 21st January 2012

So a new race in the calendar and Russ has been persuaded to include it as a Club Championship counter - this proves to be a good choice !

Only 10 Helm runners (that works in my favour) head to the small village of Crosby Ravensworth, East of Shap. The race has been organised by Nina and Jonathan and money raised so the for the village school. I am expecting a wet and muddy cross country style race, about 7 miles and only 250m of climbing.

The wind is very strong but it is clear and dry, also the route is surprisingly dry and a lack of mud...at last relatively clean fell shoes.

I set off well, perhaps a little too fast, shouldn't try to stick with Carl Bell. The field soon spreads out and I settle at a comfortable pace. After the initial climb, the route follows the top wall around Crosby Ravensworth Common. Into the wind is really hard going, a bit like being on a treadmill...a lot of effort and not much gain.

A really annoying fellow competitor stays right on my heels, literally on my heels to shelter from the wind - unlike me, I give him abuse and after the third time of almost tripping me I let him know exactly what is on my mind - he takes the hint and drops back.

I race well and finish 4th overall and, more importantly, 1st Helm runner....max points. Kath has a great run and is 1st lady overall and other Helm runners put in good efforts.

The cakes and coffee back at the school are much appreciated and the winners take home very unique, home-made trophies.

A good race.

No comments:

Post a Comment