Monday 14 November 2011

Great Gable - Sunday 13th November 2011

It's Remembrance Sunday and, as has been the case for at least the last 10 years, I head to Great Gable for the service which takes place around a plaque commemorating members of the Fell and Rock Climbing Club who died in World War I.

A late change of plan sees me heading in from Langdale, rather than my usual Seathwaite approach - but this is good, more time on the fells and less time driving. The weather looks promising and, again, it is mild. I head along Mickleden, up Rossett Ghyll, down to Angle Tarn, up to Esk Hause, down to Styhead and then join the crowds up Gable.

It is hot work and feels more like a summer's day than mid-November. It is crowded on the summit and the atmosphere good. I make a quick coffee and then it is 11 o'clock - the short service takes place and 2 minutes silence follows.

The view are stunning but in the wind it is cool. Soon head back down to Styhead and then back up to Esk Hause. On the way back I climb Esk Pike which is now shrouded in mist and the Bowfell. Down the Band and back to camper for coffee.

It has been a good day on the fells - I have missed this and will make a point of getting out for longer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment