Sunday 17 November 2013

Great Gable, Remembrance Day - Sunday 10th November 2013






Missed out last year but keen to be there today. Initial plans to head to Seathwaite the night before change as I spend the evening at a neighbours firework party so, instead, head over to Langdale early Sunday morning. 

It's a cold start and forecast to be a great day. I leave the ODG at about 8:30 and take a steady run along Mickleden and up Rossett Gyhll. It's icy and a little fresh snow but, again, great views. I soon realise that it's longer this way than I had remembered so I have to step it up a gear, I'm at Styhead soon after 10 and can then relax a little but I don't like the horde's slow trudge up Gable so I go into overtaking mode !

Soon at the top, I pull on my down jacket and fire up the pocket rocket for a coffee and shortbread....bliss.  The service is short but moving, particularly with around 400 people on the summit. Two minutes silence observed and then I head back over to Langdale; the weather is forecast to change later but I make it back before it arrives and then into Ambleside for a late lunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment