Tuesday 1 October 2013

IHR Leg 4 - Wednesday 25th September 2013

I make it back from Liverpool a little early and with the brighter weather decide to head out with Kath to re-recce leg 4 of the Ian Hodgson Relay route. But we're a little late leaving and the mist has again dropped onto the fells. I fear this could be a tough run and darker soon than I would prefer. 

We climb to Hart Crag and are soon in the mist, I play safe and take a bearing. From the summit we then head to Fairfield, I take the safe option and stick to the path rather than trying to find the racing trods in the gloom. 

Next objective is St Sunday Crag, we get a good line but I am quietly concerned about finding the racing line from the summit; the mist is thick and the light is fading fast. I use my compass again and it all works out but my relief is shared by all !

We eventually succumb to using head torches and it is good to drop below the mist and see the lights of Glenridding below. Down to Patterdale and the. We take the off-road valley route along to Hartsop and back to Brotherswater. 

It's good to be back and we make it in to the pub just in time to order food - this is good, as is the beer.  A bit of a mini epic, but I was prepared and made no mistakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment